Skip to main content

In case anyone's actually reading this...

Since I occasionally check back on my blog, I thought I should give myself something to read!

No great revelations lately, but having put over 2,500 miles on my 1988 M3 (E30) since I got it earlier this month, I am happy to say that I am still very pleased with the car and my decision to finally acquire one.  Drove it from Houston to Dallas late yesterday, and it was fantastic.  Old cars rock.

Having said that, there are some new cars that rock as well.  I dropped off our other car, a BMW 325i (E90), for some service items at the local BMW dealer.  That's a great little car as well.  I drove it back from Little Rock last weekend, and had a very nice drive.  Having a current model car under warranty has its perks, too, like the '08 335i sedan we were given as a loaner car.  The young men at the loaner car counter wanted to make sure I had something comparable, but they saw M3 on my insurance card!  He even sort of apologized that it was "only" a 335i, but that was as close to an M3 as they had in the loaner fleet!  Thanks guys.

The 335i is a hoot.  It feels like more than the advertised 300bhp, and I can't even imagine the chipped cars that are running around out there.  I frequent www.s14.net, a forum for owners of the E30 M3, and there was recently a post that posed the question of "What one car would you buy to replace your M3?"  The only rules were that it be just one car, and that it be under $70k.  Some very interesting replies, ranging from Porsches to Nissan Skyline GT-R's, but I couldn't think of what one car I would choose.  After spending some quality time with our 325i and the 335i, I think I may have found my answer.  If I had the money, but were limited to a single car for daily use, I would have to seriously consider the new M3.  I think the coupe is prettier than the sedan, but if they would build a M3 Touring, I'd be all over it.  Given the poise of the new chassis and the reports I've read on the new V8, I think that would be my car.  But not only can I not afford a new M3, I'm not planning on letting mine go.  Ever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Taste of Lemons

The 24 Hours of Lemons race series is, according to some guy named Jay, the fastest growing form of motorsport in the United States.  While I can neither confirm nor deny its empirical growth,  I can tell you that it is perhaps the best motor racing value in the country.  Endurance races featuring $500.00 cars, thematic team liveries and costumes, and a judging system to keep things safe and sportsmanlike on the track all add up to a weekend of fun racing with other people just as crazy as you.  The nature of the cars and the reasonable entry fees keep costs more realistic, and attract a broader audience.  To quote the 24 Hours of Lemons website, "It's not just for rich idiots.  It's for all idiots." Speedy Monzales To say there is a fair amount of theater involved would be fair, but it is also serious racing.  Safety is the top priority, because a serious accident would be a serious buzz kill.  Winning is, of course, one objective, but mo...

One That Got Away, One To Take Its Place?

My friend Rick and I met when we worked together at Tesla.  We found a number of common interests, including cars, music, and a love of writing.  While I whittle away at this blogging thing Rick has taken a bigger leap and is working full-time on his writing now, but while his take on the great American novel is in progress he also has a blog for his extraneous writings.  One of his recent posts about the one (car) that got away brought back memories of my "one."  ( click here for Rick's post ) I've written about my '87 M3 on these virtual pages before, and neither my passion for that car nor the regret I have from selling it have subsided.  Now that the market for the E30 M3 is approaching air-cooled Porsche levels of crazy prices, my chances of picking up another one any time soon are slim-to-none.  So it shall remain on my most-wanted list until such time as I can afford one again.  In the meantime, I've added it to my automotive bucket list. ...

Something I Started That Turned Into Something Pretty Cool.

Through the magic of social media, I discovered a young woman in the suburbs of Dallas, just minutes away from me, building amazing cafe style motorcycles.  My friend Brad Holt volunteered his time and his skills to create this great video about Sofi, her father George, and GT-Moto.   Another friend, Wes from Megadeluxe, offered to share the video on his site to help spread the word about the amazing bikes and the noble cause that drives Sofi and are the foundation of GT-Moto. Sofi Tsingos :: GT-MOTO @ Megadeluxe