Skip to main content

Future Classics - Buy at Your Own Risk.

A friend of mine has a '74 Dino.  I sat next to him at the auction when it went across the block, and all but held up his hand to bid on it.  He bought the car at a very fair price, and it has since appreciated pretty significantly.  This was the only time in my illustrious career in the auto industry that I was right about a market trend.

Of course, the classic car market is in just as much turmoil as every other industry right now, so things are a little different than they were 5 years ago.  This may be the time to buy, though, as there may be some fire-sale deals out there this year.  But what to buy?  

Here's my take on things:
  • Ferrari - 12-cylinder Ferraris are now, and may always be, unobtanium.  So unless you're THAT wealthy, forget it.  "Other" Ferraris aren't really that exciting, with the exception of the Dino, which I still think is a good buy.  I think the Dino will hold and even steadily increase over time.
  • Lamborghinis - Old Lambos (Miuras and 400GTs, anyway) seem to have gone through the roof lately, but if you can pick up a good early Countach (preferably a periscopa) for a reasonable number, then I say go for it.  Isleros have gotten stronger lately, but who knows what will happen with them?  If you really want old 12-cylinder Italian, pick up an Espada.  It looks cool and they're still cheap to buy (if not to maintain and restore).
  • Alfa Romeo - I don't know why the Alfa SZ and RZ haven't done more, given the rarity and that they are truly coach built cars.  They may not be pretty, but they are unique, and they're Alfas so they must be sexy.  Or wait a few years until you can pick up a 8C Competizione for less than the ridiculous sums they're currently fetching.
  • Porsche - The 993 Turbos have held values very well and don't seem to be going anywhere.  I think if you pick up one of these, you're safe for a long time.  And that car just rocks.
  • BMW - Buy an M Car.  If you can afford an M1, get one.  If not, find an M-Division car from the late '80's (E24 M6, E28 M5, E30 M3) and keep it and drive it.  Enough said.  (I may be a little biased on this one, but they really are holding up well.)
Comments are always welcome.  Let me know what you think.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Taste of Lemons

The 24 Hours of Lemons race series is, according to some guy named Jay, the fastest growing form of motorsport in the United States.  While I can neither confirm nor deny its empirical growth,  I can tell you that it is perhaps the best motor racing value in the country.  Endurance races featuring $500.00 cars, thematic team liveries and costumes, and a judging system to keep things safe and sportsmanlike on the track all add up to a weekend of fun racing with other people just as crazy as you.  The nature of the cars and the reasonable entry fees keep costs more realistic, and attract a broader audience.  To quote the 24 Hours of Lemons website, "It's not just for rich idiots.  It's for all idiots." Speedy Monzales To say there is a fair amount of theater involved would be fair, but it is also serious racing.  Safety is the top priority, because a serious accident would be a serious buzz kill.  Winning is, of course, one objective, but mo...

One That Got Away, One To Take Its Place?

My friend Rick and I met when we worked together at Tesla.  We found a number of common interests, including cars, music, and a love of writing.  While I whittle away at this blogging thing Rick has taken a bigger leap and is working full-time on his writing now, but while his take on the great American novel is in progress he also has a blog for his extraneous writings.  One of his recent posts about the one (car) that got away brought back memories of my "one."  ( click here for Rick's post ) I've written about my '87 M3 on these virtual pages before, and neither my passion for that car nor the regret I have from selling it have subsided.  Now that the market for the E30 M3 is approaching air-cooled Porsche levels of crazy prices, my chances of picking up another one any time soon are slim-to-none.  So it shall remain on my most-wanted list until such time as I can afford one again.  In the meantime, I've added it to my automotive bucket list. ...

Something I Started That Turned Into Something Pretty Cool.

Through the magic of social media, I discovered a young woman in the suburbs of Dallas, just minutes away from me, building amazing cafe style motorcycles.  My friend Brad Holt volunteered his time and his skills to create this great video about Sofi, her father George, and GT-Moto.   Another friend, Wes from Megadeluxe, offered to share the video on his site to help spread the word about the amazing bikes and the noble cause that drives Sofi and are the foundation of GT-Moto. Sofi Tsingos :: GT-MOTO @ Megadeluxe