Skip to main content

How exhausting.

As it turns out, the state of Texas doesn't care for rusted out, 21-yr old exhaust systems. The factory original exhaust on my '88 M3 was in just such a state, with some additional outlets that came about through the miracle of oxidation. When I took it to get a state inspection, surprise surprise, it didn't pass. I didn't realize how bad the damage was until we took the old muffler off to replace it.

There are only a few off-the-shelf aftermarket back sections available, and being on a budget, I did some research and found out that I could have a "custom" system installed for a good bit less.  Using a Magnaflow universal muffler (Part # 12468) and with the skilled welding of Joe's Muffler in Addison, TX, I was back in business.  Now the Magnaflow piece is a little smaller than the factory piece, and where the original muffler was a 2" core, this one is a 2.5".  So the new system was bound to be a little more vocal...  and indeed it is.  There is definitely some more resonance (some would say drone) in the car at certain rpm's, but the overall sound of the exhaust is lower in tone and higher in volume.  In other words, I love it.  I've had a lot of cars over the last 20 years, and always wanted one that announced its presence like this one does now.  The installation was pretty quick, and it was obvious Joe's been doing this for over 40 years.  I'm happy with the cost and with the finished product.

The neighbors may not like it, but they'll always hear me coming.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Taste of Lemons

The 24 Hours of Lemons race series is, according to some guy named Jay, the fastest growing form of motorsport in the United States.  While I can neither confirm nor deny its empirical growth,  I can tell you that it is perhaps the best motor racing value in the country.  Endurance races featuring $500.00 cars, thematic team liveries and costumes, and a judging system to keep things safe and sportsmanlike on the track all add up to a weekend of fun racing with other people just as crazy as you.  The nature of the cars and the reasonable entry fees keep costs more realistic, and attract a broader audience.  To quote the 24 Hours of Lemons website, "It's not just for rich idiots.  It's for all idiots." Speedy Monzales To say there is a fair amount of theater involved would be fair, but it is also serious racing.  Safety is the top priority, because a serious accident would be a serious buzz kill.  Winning is, of course, one objective, but mo...

One That Got Away, One To Take Its Place?

My friend Rick and I met when we worked together at Tesla.  We found a number of common interests, including cars, music, and a love of writing.  While I whittle away at this blogging thing Rick has taken a bigger leap and is working full-time on his writing now, but while his take on the great American novel is in progress he also has a blog for his extraneous writings.  One of his recent posts about the one (car) that got away brought back memories of my "one."  ( click here for Rick's post ) I've written about my '87 M3 on these virtual pages before, and neither my passion for that car nor the regret I have from selling it have subsided.  Now that the market for the E30 M3 is approaching air-cooled Porsche levels of crazy prices, my chances of picking up another one any time soon are slim-to-none.  So it shall remain on my most-wanted list until such time as I can afford one again.  In the meantime, I've added it to my automotive bucket list. ...

Something I Started That Turned Into Something Pretty Cool.

Through the magic of social media, I discovered a young woman in the suburbs of Dallas, just minutes away from me, building amazing cafe style motorcycles.  My friend Brad Holt volunteered his time and his skills to create this great video about Sofi, her father George, and GT-Moto.   Another friend, Wes from Megadeluxe, offered to share the video on his site to help spread the word about the amazing bikes and the noble cause that drives Sofi and are the foundation of GT-Moto. Sofi Tsingos :: GT-MOTO @ Megadeluxe