Skip to main content

Comments welcome.

When not making prolific contributions to my own blog, I regularly visit a few sites dedicated to automotive news and commentary.  Lately, I have taken a specific interest in Tesla Motors.  As with my friends at Local Motors, Tesla is not only about the end product but is also taking a different approach to the manufacture and sale of new cars that happen to be electric. But judging from the tone of some of the articles I've read, as well as the comments sections, my excitement isn't shared.  I'm wondering if the general public doesn't want an alternative.  Are we still afraid of the electric car?  Are we uncertain about buying a car the way we buy a computer, especially if they use the same batteries?

But really, why all the harsh negativity?  Like anyone else who follows automotive news, I am quite aware of Tesla's well publicized financial situation, and perhaps too aware of everything CEO Elon Musk is doing these days.  I am also equally aware of the royal mess that our beloved Big Three are still digging their way out of.  So why is everyone so surprised that a small start up company like Tesla hasn't turned a profit yet? No, the Tesla Roadster isn't an affordable electric car for everyman, and the end of the ICE isn't any nearer, but that's not the point of that car.  Read Tesla's business model.  It's on their website.  Their goal is to use this halo car to make a name and cover development costs so that the next model will be less expensive and can subsequently do the same thing for an even less expensive model for the mass market.  In tooling up to build the next models, they have spent a lot of money, but what did we expect?  Did anyone really think they could just build a new car in their garage and turn out enough to make a profit?  Where are the people like me who want to see Tesla succeed?  Surely there are those of us out here who can speak up even if we can't afford to buy a Tesla Roadster to show our support.

So it's obvious that I'm a big Tesla fan and supporter.  But while I'm very excited at the possibilities presented by Tesla, I'm not saying that everything is all rosy, and obviously there are some big issues that will need to be worked out.  Mr. Musk strikes me as a very smart man with a good idea, and I hope that the people surrounding him and running his company can make that idea work.  To that end, I find the recent addition of George Blankenship to Tesla's roster to be an exciting development.  His background, specifically with Apple, is going to be a key component to creating a new car buying experience.  Imagine walking into an Apple store to buy a car instead of your local dealership.  I may be oversimplifying a bit, but this is the general direction of what Tesla is trying to do.  If Tesla can follow through with this approach and stay afloat long enough to get the Model S on the road in reasonable numbers, I think they will follow the road paved by Henry Ford and Ferdinand Porsche, not Preston Tucker and Malcom Bricklin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Taste of Lemons

The 24 Hours of Lemons race series is, according to some guy named Jay, the fastest growing form of motorsport in the United States.  While I can neither confirm nor deny its empirical growth,  I can tell you that it is perhaps the best motor racing value in the country.  Endurance races featuring $500.00 cars, thematic team liveries and costumes, and a judging system to keep things safe and sportsmanlike on the track all add up to a weekend of fun racing with other people just as crazy as you.  The nature of the cars and the reasonable entry fees keep costs more realistic, and attract a broader audience.  To quote the 24 Hours of Lemons website, "It's not just for rich idiots.  It's for all idiots." Speedy Monzales To say there is a fair amount of theater involved would be fair, but it is also serious racing.  Safety is the top priority, because a serious accident would be a serious buzz kill.  Winning is, of course, one objective, but mo...

One That Got Away, One To Take Its Place?

My friend Rick and I met when we worked together at Tesla.  We found a number of common interests, including cars, music, and a love of writing.  While I whittle away at this blogging thing Rick has taken a bigger leap and is working full-time on his writing now, but while his take on the great American novel is in progress he also has a blog for his extraneous writings.  One of his recent posts about the one (car) that got away brought back memories of my "one."  ( click here for Rick's post ) I've written about my '87 M3 on these virtual pages before, and neither my passion for that car nor the regret I have from selling it have subsided.  Now that the market for the E30 M3 is approaching air-cooled Porsche levels of crazy prices, my chances of picking up another one any time soon are slim-to-none.  So it shall remain on my most-wanted list until such time as I can afford one again.  In the meantime, I've added it to my automotive bucket list. ...

Something I Started That Turned Into Something Pretty Cool.

Through the magic of social media, I discovered a young woman in the suburbs of Dallas, just minutes away from me, building amazing cafe style motorcycles.  My friend Brad Holt volunteered his time and his skills to create this great video about Sofi, her father George, and GT-Moto.   Another friend, Wes from Megadeluxe, offered to share the video on his site to help spread the word about the amazing bikes and the noble cause that drives Sofi and are the foundation of GT-Moto. Sofi Tsingos :: GT-MOTO @ Megadeluxe