Driving home from work on Wednesday, I heard a very loud bang. I knew immediately that I had blown a tire, but was surprised at how loud it was. It sounded like a gunshot. End result was a blown tire, no surprise, and a surprisingly large hole in the inside of the wheel.
The 24 Hours of Lemons race series is, according to some guy named Jay, the fastest growing form of motorsport in the United States. While I can neither confirm nor deny its empirical growth, I can tell you that it is perhaps the best motor racing value in the country. Endurance races featuring $500.00 cars, thematic team liveries and costumes, and a judging system to keep things safe and sportsmanlike on the track all add up to a weekend of fun racing with other people just as crazy as you. The nature of the cars and the reasonable entry fees keep costs more realistic, and attract a broader audience. To quote the 24 Hours of Lemons website, "It's not just for rich idiots. It's for all idiots." Speedy Monzales To say there is a fair amount of theater involved would be fair, but it is also serious racing. Safety is the top priority, because a serious accident would be a serious buzz kill. Winning is, of course, one objective, but mo...


Comments
Post a Comment